Ateneo HS Judo Team sweeps UAAP 76 championship with 7 Golds!
After settling for a second place finish last year, the Ateneo de Manila High School Judo Team successfully reclaimed the championship in the UAAP Season 76 judo boys tournament, earning a total of 91 points. In addition, AHS junior Rean Gonzales (3C) was also given the Most valuable Player (MVP) and Rookie of the Year Award, thanks in large part to his lightning fast ippon win of 4 seconds in his first match. The UAAP championship was held in the morning of September 28, 2013 at the Blue Eagle Gym.
The following milestones were also achieved by the AHS judokas:
- First team in UAAP judo boys history to sweep all seven weight divisions, with at least a gold medal in each weight class!
- Raf Cadiente of 4G won his third consecutive UAAP gold medal in the +100 kg weight division, making him an undefeated, three-peat UAAP judo boys champ!
- the AHS' 91-point tally is the highest in the history of the UAAP judo boys championship!
Here is the medal tally of the AHS judokas according to weight classification:
- -60kg: Karlo Japlos (4D)- GOLD; Jab De Jesus (4M)- BRONZE
- -66kg: Rean Gonzales (3D)- GOLD; Nico Clemente (3D)- SILVER
- -73kg: Mike Isidro (4H)- GOLD; Manolo Tan (3C)- BRONZE
- -81kg: Vince David (4C)- GOLD; Miggy Arayata (4H)- SILVER
- -90kg: Mon Tuazon (4E)- GOLD; Giolo Cadhit (3N)-SILVER
- -100kg: James Reyes (4H)- GOLD; Yiu Lee (2E)- BRONZE
- +100kg: Raf Cadiente (4G)- GOLD
It is also worth noting that every member of the AHS Judo Team won a medal. The AHS judokas are coached by Ali Sulit.