Cuerva and Glorioso named to UAAP 77 Boys Volleyball Mythical Six
Last October 6, the Ateneo de Manila High School volleyball team put up another brave gallant stand in their second finals game to again drag the University of the East (UE) Junior Warriors to a second straight five-set UAAP season 77 slugfest. Bad breaks, however, ultimately doomed their chance for an upset, enabling the Recto-based squad to escape with the win and annex their 11th straight UAAP boys volleyball title.
At championship point, UE was leading 14-11 in the fifth set but the Eaglets refused to give up and mounted a furious rally to take the lead 15-14, to the deafening cheers of their supporters.
With Ateneo at match point and leading 16-15, in a highly questionable and disputed call, a UE spike that grazed the line was flagged out by the nearest line judge but the other line judge farthest from the action belatedly signaled a check ball by an Ateneo blocker. The referee ruled it a point for UE to the consternation of the Ateneo side.
Despite its 2nd place finish, Ateneo managed to win two of the “mythical six” individual awards. Basti Cuerva (12-K) won the Best Server Award while Gian Glorioso (12-M) won the Best Blocker Award in juniors' volleyball for UAAP Season 77.
The members of the Ateneo High School volleyball team are:
1. Raphael Mari Pierre Mallari (12-A)
2. Luis Felipe Umpangco (12-A)
3. Paolo Nicolas Salomon (12-B)
4. Gerard Emil Bahia (12-C)
5. Lawrence Ignatius Luna (12-J)
6. Sebastian Enrique Cuerva (12-K)
7. Gian Carlo Glorioso (12-M)
8. Anthony Gene Sarino (12-O)
9. Chumason Celestine Njigha (11-D)
10. Andrew Chicano (11-D)
11. Ismael Hans Samaniego (11-M)
12. Carlo Gabriel Dela Peña (11-N)
13. Jose Raphael Marco Ricafort (10-N)
14. Joaquin Marcelo Divino (10-O)
They are coached by Timmy Sto. Tomas.
The games for the UAAP Season 77 volleyball tournament for juniors were played at Adamson University.