LABORATORY TECHNICIAN II at the Department of Biology
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Coordinator and the Chairperson of the Department of Biology, the Laboratory Technician II assists in the day-to-day operations of the Laboratories in the Department of Biology.
1. Acts as a steward of the laboratory
• Assists in safekeeping the various equipment, apparatuses, and other roving materials.
• Segregates and labels all used chemicals for disposal.
• Performs minor repairs of equipment to obtain and maintain their efficiency.
2. Assists students and faculty in the laboratory
• Ensures students’ safety in setting up experiments and in the usage of different lab equipment by guiding them on proper use of laboratory materials and equipment.
• Dispenses chemical reagents and other materials for students’ usage (undergraduate and graduate).
• Assists students in their special projects in terms of providing materials they need.
• Assists faculty in collecting specimens for their lab exercises, especially in Botany.
3. Maintains an inventory record and prepares the necessary documentation reports
• Prepares reports on procurement and usage of different reagents and chemicals.
• Coordinates with suppliers during maintenance and servicing of equipment.
• Maintains an inventory of chemicals and other reagents.
• Maintains an inventory of all slide boxes for Botany, Zoology, Embryology, Parasitology, and Histology.
• Monitors chemicals under PDEA and PNP watch list.
4. Departmental Assistance
• Assists in the other academic, research, and departmental activities, as needed.
• Assists in office errands like routing and reproducing documents, as needed.
5. Performs other tasks related to department initiatives that may be assigned.
• Bachelors Degree in any Science related course
• 3 years work experience; work experience in a Laboratory setting is an advantage
• Proficient in MS Office applications
• Good command of both English and Filipino languages
• Knowledge in the proper usage of different laboratory materials and equipment
• Familiarity in various specimens and chemicals, especially those under PDEA and PNP watch list
• Skills and knowledge in:
o inventory of equipment and laboratory materials
o setting up the laboratories for experiments
• Systematic, organized, trustworthy and honest