Department of English shares 2016 vision and mission
The Department of English has reformulated its Vision and Mission statement. The updated vision-mission statement was approved at a departmental meeting on October 13, 2016. It reads as follows:
VISION AND MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH, ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY
The Department of English is a leading center of higher learning in language, literary, and cultural studies in the Asia-Pacific that advances scholarly expertise and the production of Filipino writing in English; cultivates pedagogical, scholarly, cultural, and creative spaces; and enables critical global citizens through empowering contexts of literacy.
Through teaching, research, creative works, and community service, the department
• Delivers core and advanced courses on the macro-skills of reading, writing, speaking, and listening;
• Fosters a distinct learning environment where affective dimensions in language and literature inspire critical thought, proficient expression, and responsible citizenship;
• Hones disciplinal expertise in English language studies and in literary and cultural studies;
• Advances pioneering practices in language, literary, and cultural studies that enable Filipino and Asian forms of engagement with the world;
• Situates learners in evolving contexts that lead to empowered literacy; and
• Deepens learner-capacity for productive, flexible, and sustained dialogue and action.
The Department of English at a recent departmental workshop